Editor’s note: Suppliers and PMPs, if you have a bed bug control product or service you’d like to have highlighted in an upcoming issue, please send a press release and a high-resolution photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orkin Releases New Top 50 Bed Bug Cities List
Baltimore tops this year’s Top 50 Bed Bug Cities list, released recently by Orkin. In the six years Orkin has released the bed bug city rankings, this is the first time Baltimore has made the top five, moving up nine spots since last year. Four metro regions — Las Vegas, Portland, Salt Lake City and Greensboro-High Point- Winston-Salem — made the list for the first time this year.
The list is based on treatment data from the metro areas where Orkin performed the most bed bug treatments from Dec. 1, 2015-Nov. 30, 2016. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments. (The number in parenthesis shows the city’s movement up/down the list.)
1. Baltimore (+9)
2. Washington, D.C. (+1)
3. Chicago (-2)
4. New York
5. Columbus, Ohio
6. Los Angeles (-4)
9. Philadelphia (-3)
10. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose (+4)
11. Richmond-Petersburg, Va. (-2)
12. Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (-1)
13. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio (-1)
14. Indianapolis (+1)
15. Dallas-Ft. Worth (-2)
16. Atlanta (+3)
18. Buffalo, N.Y. (+2)
19. Charlotte, N.C. (-3)
20. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va. (+10)
21. Knoxville, Tenn. (+3)
22. Denver (-4)
23. Nashville, Tenn. (-1)
24. Pittsburgh (+5)
25. Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C.; Asheville, N.C. (-4)
26. Phoenix (-3)
27. Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo; Battle Creek, Mich. (+5)
28. Boston (-3)
29. Milwaukee (-3)
30. Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill. (+12)
31. Hartford-New Haven, Conn. (+3)
32. Dayton, Ohio (-4)
33. Omaha, Neb. (+3)
34. Seattle-Tacoma (-6)
35. Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla. (-4)
36. Charleston-Huntington, W.Va. (-1)
37. St. Louis (+3)
38. Cedar Rapids-Waterloo; Dubuque, Iowa (+3)
39. Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C. (+11)
40. Syracuse, N.Y. (+6)
41. Louisville, Ky. (-2)
42. Greensboro-High Point; Winston Salem, N.C.
43. Lexington, Ky. (-10)
44. Orlando-Daytona Beach; Melbourne, Fla. (-6)
45. Kansas City, Mo. (-1)
46. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (-3)
47. Salt Lake City, Utah
48. Honolulu, Hawaii
49. Las Vegas
50. Portland, Ore.
KleenCover now u.s. Manufactured
The Ultimate Mattress Encasement will continue to stretch to fit 9-15 inch depths and will also be available in Plus+ Advantage sizes. It remains fully bite-proof and penetration and escape proof with the same waterproof, hypoallergenic, and fire retardant benefits.
Mattress Safe began manufacturing the KleenCover box spring encasement with import fabric in 2015. The firm now will complete the economy line here in the United States. Both encasements boast a soft luxurious and durable fabric sewn together with five needle thread and surging, and Mattress Safe’s patented enclosure, the “Zipper with the Hook,” will continue to be the signature design of these bed bug certified products, the company reports.
Fabric for the KleenCover product line will continue to be imported, and the KleenCover economy line will remain competitively priced, the firm says.
Heat Injector System: Unique Way to Heat AirThe Heat Injector System from Supplier Support International uses concepts that are the result of 15 years in research, design and testing, the firm says. The Heat Injector System uses a unique and energy-efficient method to heat air. It was patented in 2008 and first introduced into the HVAC market in 2010. According to the manufacturer, the Heat Injector features the following attributes:
- Discrete — The Heat Injector does not require a noisy external generator or external ducts.
- Controlled Discharge Temperature — The onboard microprocessor continuously monitors and controls the discharge temperature to produce heat at the operator-chosen discharge temperature.
- Safe — The Heat Injector uses the same gas and electrical controls that are required for large, automatically controlled heating systems uses in factories, warehouses and curing chambers.
- Simple — It is designed to be plugged into any standard home outlet and can be operated with two switches.
- Effective — The Heat Injector uses a patented concept to produce and distribute heat throughout the structure. It also has the capability to pressurize when the structure and its contents are heated to the desired temperature.
- Powerful — The Heat Injector is able to move up to 4000 CFM and is capable of adding enough heat to achieve the desired discharge temperature, which increases the discharge temperature by up to 100°F.
- Energy Efficient — The Heat Injector is an energy-efficient method to heat air.
With the introduction of the Modular Heat Injector, the Heat Injector System can be disassembled/reassembled in any location. Learn more at www.heatinjector.com.
P.E.S.T. Relief International Provides Comfort
P.E.S.T. Relief International spread Christmas cheer throughout the month of December serving two shelters and making them a safe and comfortable place to live. P.E.S.T. Relief partnered with Clark Pest Remedy; the two groups worked to improve the conditions at U-Hope Shelter in Sandy Springs, Ga. This once-infested home is now free of bed bugs, allowing residents to continue to thrive as they pursue a better life. Also, P.E.S.T. Responders partnered with the Boy Scouts of America for continued improvements at Abba House through renovating a screened-in porch, installing new sheets and bedding, and painting several rooms. Additional projects are scheduled this year.
P.E.S.T. Relief International is a non-profit 501(c)3 for “Professionals to Empower, Sustain, and Transform” lives. The group brings comfort and relief to those in need through safe shelter, nutrition, physical and emotional health, and spiritual enrichment. Harnessing the power of the pest management industry, P.E.S.T. Relief International touches the lives of the orphaned, abused and those who are at-risk. To become a P.E.S.T. Relief Responder and contribute towards these projects, visit www.pestreliefinternational.com or contact Andrea Hancock at 678/525-7682 for more information.